Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
more than 12 channels
I'm curious if anyone else got an internal server error when doing an update from inside the SIP program. Webpage is /UPu. I ended up renaming the existing SIP directory and reinstalling the latest program. That works great.
I used the system updater to upgrade my test rig ant it worked without a problem.

I think you mentioned that you modified some code in the gpio_pins.py file. That would cause the updater to fail.

The other way to update the software is from the command line in the SIP directory:

Code:
sudo git pull

That will also show any error messages that you won't see with the system updater plugin and it will keep all your settings and irrigation programs intact.

Dan
I too also got that error when using the system updater...I also used the more 'manual' method as described by Dan and I appear to have 3.2.22(though the web console still says 3.2.18).  Anyways, I have a strange problem that maybe you all could help me with.  Up until this week I had been using the relay board plugin, which worked beautifully.  Now I need to hook up more stations...so I used the diagram for using shift register's.  This is where my issues began.  If I don't have 24v AC power hooked up, everything works perfectly, which leads me to believe that my breadboard is hooked up properly.  I now just have a single shift register on my breadboard and I am using active-low(resistor in place and checkbox checked in options), and again when I have no AC power applied all works accordingly.  When I then turn on AC power all relays switch on immediately...I then restart SIP and it all turns off accordingly.  Now I go to run a single relay and when it switches on all relays switch on then when it goes to turn off I hear what seems like it trying to switch off but all relays continue to stay on.  I have tried multiple other things but still get the same results.  Any ideas?

For reference I am using the latest code(via get from last night), Rpi 3b and a JBTek 8 station relay.  Again, this same station worked perfectly using the relay board plugin.
Using an external power supply for the relay board may help.
(2017 Jun 17, 04:11 AM)dan Wrote: Using an external power supply for the relay board may help.
How would I hook that up exactly? I had tried this before without success but not sure I had it wired properly.
It depends on the relay board design but there is usually a jumper between VCC and JD-VCC. The jumper gets removed and the power from the external power supply connects to GND (negative from the PS) and JD-VCC (positive from PS) The +5V line from the pi connects to VCC on the relay board, the GND from the Pi is NOT connected. This is for a low level trigger relay board.

I have tested this with a SainSmart low-level trigger (active low) 8 channel relay board and it works as expected with the Active-low relay option checked in SIP's Options > Station handling
(2017 Jun 19, 09:09 PM)dan Wrote: It depends on the relay board design but there is usually a jumper between VCC and JD-VCC. The jumper gets removed and the power from the external power supply connects to GND (negative from the PS) and JD-VCC (positive from PS) The +5V line from the pi connects to VCC on the relay board, the GND from the Pi is NOT connected. This is for a low level trigger relay board.

I have tested this with a SainSmart low-level trigger (active low) 8 channel relay board and it works as expected with the Active-low relay option checked in SIP's Options > Station handling

Ok, mine does have that...what connects to the breadboard, just the 4 wires from the Pi?
The 4 wires plus +5v and ground from pins 4 and 6 on the Pi to provide power for the shift registers. so actually 6 wires from the Pi.
Separate power supplies is also what I do and your relais board looks almost the same. See my setup 
Please let me know if you want some close-up pictures.

--Gerard
(2017 Jun 19, 09:09 PM)dan Wrote: It depends on the relay board design but there is usually a jumper between VCC and JD-VCC. The jumper gets removed and the power from the external power supply connects to GND (negative from the PS) and JD-VCC (positive from PS) The +5V line from the pi connects to VCC on the relay board, the GND from the Pi is NOT connected. This is for a low level trigger relay board.

Yes it depends on the board.  I am using the 16 channel board (active low) with an infinity cascade expansion module.  The +5V line from the pi does NOT connect to VCC on the relay board, but the GND from the Pi is connected.  When I connected the +5V, all the relays incorrectly turned on without a signal.  The 16 channel relay board gets it power from only the external power supply but the ground (the negative) from the external supply and the ground from the pi are tied together for reference.