Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain Sensor stuck on Rain Sensed - fixed
UPDATE ***** fixed in SIP Ver 3.1.93 when running the latest Jessie Raspian. **** Thanks to Dan for his assitance with this fix.

Hi there, have a rain sensor issue...SIP ver 3.1.87, Options > Rain sensor, Use Rain sensor ticked and Normally Open ticked.

Shorted Grnd and Pin 8 (Rev1 Pi - GPIO 14) and home page shows Rain Delay and Rain Sensed and Stations show Suppressed by Rain Sensor - good.

Removed short between pins - stays the same...refreshed for >15 minutes, same. Logged out and back in, cleared browser cache, same...
Restarted SIP with Options > System Restart > Restart - same
Restarted RPi with Options > System Restart > Reboot - same
Manually toggled the  Options > Rain sensor, Normally Open to unticked - that cleared the Rain Sensed to No Rain sensed, but the Stations still show Suppressed by Rain sensor.
Toggle it back again and Rain Sensed is back again Sad

how/when is the rain sensor reset?
Is there a time delay?, if so how long and where is it configured? <-- I found this. Home Page > Rain Delay item, click it and it prompts "Enter hours to delay" with a default of zero. I'll try changing the zero to 1.
Cant find any reference to it.
Also had a devil of a time finding any reference to where a rain sensor would be connected. Eventually found one reference to pin 8 here http://nosack.com/sipforum/showthread.ph...ight=pin+8

Recommend that connection of rain sensor contact needs to be added to here https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/SIP/wiki/rain_sensor
Perhaps also mention connection on Options > Rain sensor tooltips.
I see the same problem here. Thanks for reporting this.
I will look for a fix and report back.

Dan
Hi Dan, thanks for confirming and of course a massive thanks for an excellent application. I've tried a few different Pi based controllers and this one is the only one that ticks all the boxes for me...still getting my head around the nuances of the gui.
The program has been updated on GitHub to fix this problem for Raspberry Pi.

Let me know if you still see a problem after an update. You should be able to update the program from Plugins > System Update.

I will add some documentation about the rain sensor pin to the SIP wiki on GitHub. There are a few different hardware configurations that SIP works with such as Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone Black, Raspberry Pi with an OpenSprinkler board, etc. which would make it difficult to add the information to the tool tip on the Options page.

Dan
Thanks Dan,
the System Update appeared to be broken in 3.1.87, kept telling me the 3.1.88 update was available and on selecting that, resolved to a blank page with http://<SIP IP Address>/UPu with a HTTP500 Internal Server Error. Various reboots, etc and still same.

I tried manually modding my gpio_pins.py with the changes you made, but that did not work. Rain sensor logic got screwed up and eventually I could not browse to it. Rebuilt afresh - now on 3.1.88. Long way round.

Now testing with shorting pin 8 to Grnd, I get Rain Sensed on the home page, but removing the short still says same. Clicking and setting 1 hour sets the countdown. Am I right to expect a zero (default) value should just toggle the rain sensor on and off without any delay when the short is placed and removed?
Just setting my relays/programs, etc back up now and will mess with rain sensor toggling later.

I tested my two relays using the pulse plug in - then set them for sequential ( or concurrent) and 20 and 30s respectively....on return to home page relay status shows off even though both relays operate. The relays I use have LEDs built into them (https://www.jaycar.com.au/arduino-compat...d/p/XC4419) so I can see they're active...and yep, I am refreshing the home page multiple times.
Similarly, setting a Program for either or both relays and I see them operate based on the settings, but the status on the home page stays off...
I'm sure this was working on 3.1.87, but don't have the zip to roll back to check.

Thanks for the support.
Bob
Go figure....all that w as with a windows 10 ie 11 machine also with firefox.
Swapped to a Samsung android tablet with Firefox and the relay status pages on the homepage are working!!

Csnt get back to the windows nachine tonight, but interested to repeat this again tomorrow...plus retest the rain fix.
Thanjs
Bob
Bob,

There was a problem with the system_update plugin recently, I thought it was fixed. I'll do some more testing.
You can also update from the command line with "sudo git pull" from the SIP directory. That should update the software without affecting your programs/settings.

The rain sensor has never refreshed the page when a change occurs at least under windows. It requires a manual page refresh in the browser (F5 in Firefox). I am looking into a way to do an auto page refresh on rain sensor change.

I appreciate your input and patience.

Dan
I added a feature to update the home page automatically when the rain sensor state changes.

Dan
(2017 Jan 07, 08:27 PM)dan Wrote: I added a feature to update the home page automatically when the rain sensor state changes.

Dan

Thanks Dan,
That works a treat. Great effort!!!.
I think the logic of the Normally Open setting is still reversed, assuming 'my' logic is not arse about....
e.g. with Use Rain Sensor ticked and Normally Open unticked- I get permanent Rain Sensed with nothing connected to pin 8.
If I s/c pin 8 to Grnd (Grnd = pin 6 in my case) the status swaps to No Rain Sensed.....
If I check (select) the Normally Open setting, the effect is reversed.

I now know some of the updating is definitely a client issue.
I discovered that IE 11 does not autoupdate some fields - like the On timer countdown on an active Station on the home page. IE updates the seconds on the clock fine.
Using Chrome and Firefox happily updates both On timers and clock seconds.... begone IE!
I'l stick to FF from now on.

Thanks again for the support.
Bob
Bob,

Normally open (the most common case and default) refers to a sensor that only closes a switch when rain is detected. Normally closed (when the box is not ticked) refers to a sensor that breaks the connection when rain is detected. It would show rain if there is no connection.
It can be a bit confusing.
I checked here and the logic seems to be correct.

Dan