Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCD Display not working
Hi, Just posting in this forum in case someone might have any ideas (I previously posted in PLUGINS):

I cannot get my I2C 1602 LCD to work. When I attach it to my Pi, it lights up. but nothing else.

1. Yes I have the LCD plugin enabled and the address entered.
2. I have tested this Pi with this LCD outside of SIP and it works just great.
3. I have noticed that when I look at the LCD Plugin, the status always says , "Off".  Is it supposed to ever say something else?

Thanks for any help.
(2018 Jan 24, 02:20 AM)AndyShap Wrote: Hi, Just posting in this forum in case someone might have any ideas (I previously posted in PLUGINS):

I cannot get my I2C 1602 LCD to work. When I attach it to my Pi, it lights up. but nothing else.

1. Yes I have the LCD plugin enabled and the address entered.
2. I have tested this Pi with this LCD outside of SIP and it works just great.
3. I have noticed that when I look at the LCD Plugin, the status always says , "Off".  Is it supposed to ever say something else?

Thanks for any help.

I had a bit of fun with LCD working as well. 
Mine is now working fine, although status always shows off on the GUI.
1st off, make sure you have the latest SIP installed, update as required.
Make sure the I2C address is correct (in the plug-in GUI) for the device you are using..
Test and check with command i2cdetect –y 1 

Bob
Thanks for responding Bob!

When I initially ran i2cdetect -y 1, I got an error saying no board was found. I did some research and made sure that my file entries were correct.  Now, when I run i2cdetect, it correctly detects the LCD/I2C device at 0x27 (which is what I knew it was, and what was entered).

But now, the LCD is dark, then two very fast blinks of the board and ... repeat every few seconds.

And again, If I am running various Python scripts like "Hello World" all is fine.  Every Python script I have tested yields correct output to the LCD, but NOT in SIP!

Do you have any other ideas?
Well I am trying as hard as I can on my end. :-(

I loaded a brand new card with the newest version of Raspbian. I then did nothing else other than load SIP. Still no LCD action. I then tried a suggestion Dan had and powered the LCD from a separate 5v source (he mentioned maybe the Raspberry Pi Zero wasn't truly supplying 5V to the LCD. Well, the LCD lights up, just no text, same as always.) I'm pretty new to coding, so I believe the follow thought is above my pay grade: Is it possible to substitute a way stripped down version of lcd_adj.py, just to test the LCD and SIP? I know my I2C LCD is 0x27, so we don't need any of the code to figure it out. Is someone maybe willing to do the rest of the coding so I can test this?

Since I started with a brand new Micro SD card with a brand new version of Raspbian, I'm just not sure what else to do. Have you tested SIP with the newest version of Raspbian (11-29-17)?

Thanks for sticking with me!
Update: Dan has been wonderful in working with me to solve this issue. As of about Feb 10, 2018 he reworked the lcd_adj.py file and now the LCD works perfectly! If you are having trouble, please be sure to uninstall and then reinstall lcd_adj.