Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Maximum Number of Zones
(2021 May 26, 02:08 PM)dan Wrote: From the valve specs it looks like you have some valves of US origin (60Hz) and some of UK/European origin (50Hz).

Assuming all the valves are 24V, the maximum current draw would be the highest inrush current times the number of valves that are switched on at the same time. Five valves at 370mA * 5 = 1850mA or nearly 2A. The adapter should have at least an additional 10% capacity so 2.2A minimum.

Oops. They are all US (60Hz). I was a little fast with the copy & paste.  

What does Station delay: do?  Is that just a delay of start of energizing a relay/valve when you have scheduled a series of events?  Could that be used to safely open multiple valves or would I need to code something to make that happen.

Would be neat to have a GROUPS feature.  A user could group a set of valves and then schedule that GROUP to come on and off.  The GROUPS feature could have a Station Delay to open the valves in the GROUP in sequence.  

Will be much happier when I get to the software side of things.  Digging in the dirt, being eaten alive by flies and having to purchase odds and ends at extremely inflated prices is getting old.

Thanks again for all your effort and hard work on this project.
The Station delay sets a short delay in starting a station. Useful when a pump needs to build pressure before opening a valve.

There are a couple of ways to run multiple stations (valves) at the same time.

1) You can set SIP to concurrent mode: Options > Station Handling > Uncheck Sequential
This will run all stations that are programmed to start at a set time.

2) The combine_stations plugin does something like what you describe as Groups. It allows multiple stations to to run simultaneously when SIP is in Sequential mode. The plugin creates 8 virtual stations which can consist of any combination of regular stations. It was created to allow mixing sequential and concurrent operations.

Something else to look at is Individual Durations Optons > Station Handling > check Individual durations
When you create irrigation programs with this option set each station in a program can have a different run time. Thay will be run sequentially.
<p><br></p>
Thanks for that information.

Have all the parts now and hope to construct the controller over the weekend.

Looking at your 24 zone example I am wondering how you are combining/connecting/joining the wires for the (3) 74HC595 Shift Registers.  (I am using a breadboard for my initial construction.)

Once again thanks for your guidance.
Photo 
You can use jumper wires. They can be made from 14 gauge hookup wire or you can use wires from a jumper wire kit like:
https://www.amazon.com/AUSTOR-Lengths-As...6522&psc=1

Here is an example:

<p><br></p>
(2021 Jun 06, 02:23 PM)dan Wrote: You can use jumper wires.

Thanks.

This will confirm my NOOBness.

The BREADBOARD has 63 rows and 10 columns along with 2 positive and 2 negative columns and a center divide.

Am I correct to assume that the insertion points are connected by rows in groups of 5. For example 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E are connected within the BREADBOARD.

So then does that mean I just need to jump wires from the additional 74HC595 Shift Registers to corresponding open insertion points at the first 74HC595 Shift Register which is attached to the Raspberry Pi and that this can be done by daisy chaining?

With regards to powering the setup.  I have three power supplies: Pi power supply, Relay Board(s) power supply and an Irrigation Valve power supply.

I am unclear if I can replace the Pi power input to the BREADBOARD with input from the Relay Board power supply or if that would cause and issue or catastrophic failure.

Thanks again for all your help.
It is probably best to not connect the relay power supply to the breadboard. Use that to power the relay boards only.
The 5V power from the Pi is enough to power the shift registers.

you asked:
"Am I correct to assume that the insertion points are connected by rows in groups of 5. For example 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E are connected within the BREADBOARD."

Yes. that is correct

It might be helpful to check out this youtube video on breadboards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6mixXsn-Vc
<p><br></p>
(2021 Jun 06, 04:52 PM)dan Wrote: It is probably best to not connect the relay power supply to the breadboard. Use that to power the relay boards only.
OKAY.

So do I use the isolated pins at the corner of the RELAY MODULE?  (GND VCC JD-VCC)

Assuming I use the JD-VCC should I place the jumper on the VCC to keep me out of trouble.
To power would I connect multiple wires from the PWR supply - to GND and PWR supply + to JD_VCC to each of the RELAY MODULES?
Do I need to connect the other GND next to IN1 on each of the RELAY MODULES to the - on the BREAD BOARD?

Is the BREAD BOARD wire heavy enough for powering the RELAY MODULE or should I use a larger gauge?

Thanks again.
(2021 Jun 06, 10:09 PM)HereComesTheRain Wrote:
(2021 Jun 06, 04:52 PM)dan Wrote: It is probably best to not connect the relay power supply to the breadboard. Use that to power the relay boards only.
OKAY.

So do I use the isolated pins at the corner of the RELAY MODULE?  (GND VCC JD-VCC)
Yes,

Assuming I use the JD-VCC should I place the jumper on the VCC to keep me out of trouble.
That is probably a good idea.
To power would I connect multiple wires from the PWR supply - to GND and PWR supply + to JD_VCC to each of the RELAY MODULES?
Yes.
Do I need to connect the other GND next to IN1 on each of the RELAY MODULES to the - on the BREAD BOARD?
Yes. That completes the circuit with the bread board.

Is the BREAD BOARD wire heavy enough for powering the RELAY MODULE or should I use a larger gauge?
Probably, but if you will have a lot of relays on at the same time heavier gauge wire would be good. If the wire is too thin it will get hot.

Thanks again.
<p><br></p>
(2021 Jun 13, 01:53 PM)dan Wrote:

At this point I am confusing myself.

I have a power supply connected to the BREAD BOARD.

I then run a ground (-and positive from the BREAD BOARD to each of the RELAY MODULES.

I connect the ground to the GND and the positive to the JD_VSS which are both located at the corner of the RELAY MODULE.

Do I still need to connect the GND next to IN1 on the RELAY MODULE to the GND (-) on the BREAD BOARD?

Is there a way to test this prior to installing the wires to the irrigation valves?

To further confuse myself do I install the RELAY BOARD plugin? If so do I set the RELAY CHANNELS to equal the number of RELAY BOARDS.  For example do I set it to 2 for (2) RELAY BOARDS with 16 total modules?

Regarding the 10k Ohm resistor do I insert it BELOW the PURPLE wire and any jumpers going to that ROW or does it even matter?

Thanks Again.
(2021 Jun 13, 07:59 PM)HereComesTheRain Wrote:
(2021 Jun 13, 01:53 PM)dan Wrote:

At this point I am confusing myself.

I have a power supply connected to the BREAD BOARD.

I then run a ground (-and positive from the BREAD BOARD to each of the RELAY MODULES.

I connect the ground to the GND and the positive to the JD_VSS which are both located at the corner of the RELAY MODULE.

Do I still need to connect the GND next to IN1 on the RELAY MODULE to the GND (-) on the BREAD BOARD?
The power connections for the relay boards should be separate from the connections from the Pi except the ground from the Pi/shift registers should go to the ground next to IN1. You can use one set of power rails on the bread board for the relay board power as long as it is kept separate from connections from the Pi.

Is there a way to test this prior to installing the wires to the irrigation valves?
You should be able to hear the relays click and there is usually a LED that lights when a relay is on. This happend withour any connection to the irrigation valves.

To further confuse myself do I install the RELAY BOARD plugin? If so do I set the RELAY CHANNELS to equal the number of RELAY BOARDS.  For example do I set it to 2 for (2) RELAY BOARDS with 16 total modules?
No, you do not need to use a relay board plugin when using the shift registers. There a couple of types of relay board depending on weather they are "high level trigger" or "low level trigger" If they are low level trigger there is a setting in SIP under Options > Station handling > Ascive-low relay which is specific for using low level trigger relay boards with the shift registers.

Regarding the 10k Ohm resistor do I insert it BELOW the PURPLE wire and any jumpers going to that ROW or does it even matter?
Anywhere on that row is OK.

Thanks Again.
<p><br></p>