Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MQTT Plugins now available
I currently use the branded OpenSprinkler hardware/software -- but have just stumbled on this Dan-in-CA/SIP -- while searching for a more modern and open topology that separates the hardware and app using MQTT.

To me, it's much more elegant, easier to support, less expensive, hardware-agnostic, and most importantly -- integrates better -- by using an app that delegates sprinkler-switching (relays) over the network using a messaging broker like MQTT.

Here's what I would like to do (one poster above touched on this as well):

* Run Dan-in-CA/SIP on the network -- It will not matter where it's located, nor what hardware it runs on, and it will not require any relays, etc.  For all intents, it could even be a virtual machine (VM).

* Sprinklers Connect to 8-Zone ESP8266 Relay Boards -- To make things simple, an 8-Relay network board -- for example, $15 "LinkNode" (any ESP8266 relay board will do, this just happens to be one of the better supported/open boards and well done).  

Typically I would flash my relay board with Tasmota (open-source firmware for ESP8266, ESP8285, ESP32 IoT devices that supports MQTT and emulates Phillips Hue, Sonoff, etc -- so that it can be controlled by anything compatible with those devices) to make it look like everything else in my IoT setup.  Once I've done this, it is basically integrated with my SmartHome (any solution supporting MQTT, in my case HomeAssistant/HASS.io, but equally well in OpenHAB, etc).

This works very clean & simply -- Where the Dan-in-CA/SIP app sending messages over the network (via MQTT) telling the relays to turn on-or-off.  I could do this using normal SmartHome automation; however, OpenSprinkler/SIP provide more robust/tailored features specific to irrigation.  Anywhere I like, whether at my house, or a second-home, etc -- I could have relay boards connected to sprinkler zones, which are turned on/off simply by SIP sending messages over a network accessible by the relay boards.

To Clarify -- This would theoretically be a plug-and-play solution (requiring no custom code and only configurations), by implementing the MQTT add-on mentioned in this thread, if I'm understanding correctly.

Although I only just now stumbled on this forum ... I already have a Pi ready to go, I have Mosquitto/MQTT setup and running and I have 8x Relay ESP8266 WiFi Boards running on the same network ready to be connected to a 24VAC power source to control the sprinkler solenoids (previously controlled by OpenSprinkler).

I have just one question ...  Am I correct in assuming that if I setup Dan-in-CA/SIP, add-in this MQTT feature and setup -- will my intended topology work as explained above?

Thank you in advance!
DevGirl/WPB

BTW - I referred to SIP as "Dan-in-CA/SIP" to make it easier for others with the same question to find this via Google, considering the acronym "SIP" is over-used considering it is the signalling protocol for VoIP

Messages In This Thread
MQTT Plugins now available - by dan - 2016 Oct 22, 01:31 AM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by msev - 2017 Jan 24, 01:22 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dan - 2017 Jan 24, 05:02 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by msev - 2017 Jun 27, 11:21 AM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dan - 2017 Jun 27, 08:12 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dalmabrain - 2018 Jun 12, 09:27 AM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dan - 2018 Jun 12, 02:23 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dalmabrain - 2018 Jun 12, 09:38 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dan - 2018 Jun 13, 02:35 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dan - 2018 Jun 13, 03:16 PM
RE: MQTT Plugins now available - by dalmabrain - 2018 Jun 14, 07:31 AM