Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping System Time (SIP and Rpi)
Big Grin 
danYour plan to use a Ds3231 chip and have the Pi shutdown automatically sounds good.

I don't know of any other way to keep accurate time on the Raspi.
The RTC information I sent you a link for in an earlier post is old and I have been working on new instructions for using an RTC with the newest raspbian versions (Jessie or Stretch).

I don't know your location or what access you have to electronic components but there is a nice RTC that is designed specifically for the Pi from Adafruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3386

You just need to get it with the battery and plug it on to the Pi's GPIO pins (pins 1 to 6). It will work with the relay_16 SIP plugin. 

I will post here as soon as I have the new instructions ready.

Dan
Many thanks for your replay
here are some updates
i have tried to buy Ds3231 from local reseller at the beginning they said it is available but when i get there they said they only have DS1302 witch is different chip ! although i have tried hardly to hooked up and make it work with My rpi but no luck . then i ordered the one that you recommend but it will take about Five weeks to deliver "i live in 3rd world country Smile"

until then i have decided to do the following  :
  • installing hardware timer that only allow power to entire project from 07:00 PM to11:00 PM (Real Time) it will allow power to the project only in that window
    http://www.acehardware.co.id/ace_media/p...imer_1.jpg
  • put this line in crontab @reboot sudo date -s "04-JAN-2014 19:00:00"; (Dummy Time)
  • schedule sip to run daily at 19:30 (Dummy Time)
  • schedule auto system shutdown at 23:00 using cron tab (Dummy Time)
  • since there is not any online ntp in the surroundings the rpi will stick to the dummy time
  • Irrigation will run during that time
i Know this is not sophisticated way to sole the problems but it will work and do the job for me .
as soon as i have deployed everything i will post the entire project diagrams and pictures in desired forum

many thanks again for this nice community Dan
Shad

Messages In This Thread
Keeping System Time (SIP and Rpi) - by shapi - 2018 Mar 22, 08:36 PM
RE: Keeping System Time (SIP and Rpi) - by dan - 2018 Mar 23, 03:07 PM
RE: Keeping System Time (SIP and Rpi) - by shapi - 2018 Mar 27, 08:49 AM