Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to 'announce' a new plugin?
A couple of years ago a friend asked me to sort out a control system for his well; it would run dry under heavy use and require a trip out in order to reset once it had returned to normal levels - typically after an hour or so.

More recently a 'roundtuit' happened and I wrote a simple web-based control program for a Pi that would auto-reset the well controller via a relay after a user-specified period and display the pump status etc onscreen from opto-coupled inputs. The software also allowed for remote manual control of the well pump, all of which meant that the trek to the pumphouse would become a simple glance at a screen from wherever. A simpler and cheaper way to do it would have been to use an Arduino but I was thinking of the future as they have an elderly irrigation system...

After some trawling around the 'net for ideas on improving the latter I came across SIP and liked what I saw, not in the least that you're receptive to contributions, are maintaining the project well, and have developed quite a good ecosystem.

To that end I've written a plugin, presently entitled 'well' that displays the well pump motor status on the front page, along with timer detail (countdown of minutes) for controller reset if the well pump controller has shut off due to the well running dry. The time to reset is adjustable via the plugin menu, as are a couple of other parameters that should also allow the plugin to completely take over the task of well control should one wish to entrust it with your expensive well motor and pump...

It's working fine on the bench presently, and will hopefully be installed onsite within the next week or so. Following some insitu testing and cleanup of the code, and assuming it works as intended, I'd be happy to make the plugin available to anyone that might find it useful.

As such I've registered here so I could let you know about this and enquire as to whether this would fit within your vision for SIP? If so, and when I'm satisfied it's ok for release, I'd have thought the 'Announcement' section the right place to post a notice, however it didn't look as if one could start a new thread there? I guess that's by design, and clearly I'd go through the requisite protocol etc around reviewing the plugin first, but perhaps you could let me know where/how to make it public whenever it's ready?

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
How to 'announce' a new plugin? - by I M - 2023 Dec 15, 09:59 PM
RE: How to 'announce' a new plugin? - by dan - 2023 Dec 17, 03:41 PM
RE: How to 'announce' a new plugin? - by I M - 2023 Dec 18, 08:44 PM
RE: How to 'announce' a new plugin? - by I M - 2024 Jan 02, 06:18 AM