Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 VAC valves not being activated
Hi Dan!
I have implemented your SIP library for the OSPI. Usually (with previous OSPI boards) it worked really well. Now I am setting up a new OSPI but with no luck now. Although sip.py runs without problem, the 24 VAC valves stations are not being activated by the sip.py script. And it seems that is an issue with the SIP library because I have tried the Unified Firmware deployed by  OpenSprinklers, written in C++, and that software is able to control de valves. However I prefer your python library. Also using the multimeter, there is not voltage in the station when it is supposed to be ON. (and as I said it doesn't seem to be hardware related or a bad connection, or lack of power supply, as the Unified firmware was able to turn open and close the valves!!)

Have you experience this before and have a clue how to solve it?

Many thanks for your help.

elongo
This is the first I have heard of this.

I checked the OSPI board description on the OpanSprinkler web site and found this:

"Also, if you plan to use RPi 3: due to the power consumption of RPi 3, you may need an additional USB adapter to power RPi 3 directly through its microUSB port."

Even though the unified software can switch the valves the SIP software may require more power.

Have you tried using a USB power adapter with the Pi?

There does not seem to be any changes in the OSPi board that would cause SIP not to work.

Dan
(2017 May 13, 04:52 PM)Dan, Wrote: Many thanks for your prompt response. Actually I do have both power cables connected (RPi and OSPI). So I guess that is not the issue!!

I am checking if there are libraries missing in the RPi. If any idea of specific library/package installation that I may be missing and I should check, will be very appreciated!!

Thank you!!

elongo

This is the first I have heard of this.

I checked the OSPI board description on the OpanSprinkler web site and found this:

"Also, if you plan to use RPi 3: due to the power consumption of RPi 3, you may need an additional USB adapter to power RPi 3 directly through its microUSB port."

Even though the unified software can switch the valves the SIP software may require more power.

Have you tried using a USB power adapter with the Pi?

There does not seem to be any changes in the OSPi board that would cause SIP not to work.

Dan
If you can access the SIP web interface all the necessary libraries are there.

SIP uses mostly standard Python libraries. The only non-standard libraries that SIP needs are included with the distribution and don't need to be installed separately.

I don't have the latest OSPi board here to test. Do you have an older OSPi board to try to see if it works?  Also, do you have another Pi to try?

EDIT:
I am thinking it may be a problem of incorrect pin mapping. If that is the case it should be a fairly easy fix.

What versions of the OSPi board and Pi are you using?
I am guessing the latest OSPi board and Pi 3.

I will need to do some testing and I will post the results here.

Dan
Hmm...

I have an OSPi board rev 1.4+ which has the same pin configuration as the latest rev 1.43+ according to page 7 of the user manual:
https://rayshobby.net/docs/ospi143+_manual.pdf

I attached a Pi 3 to the board and it works as expected even without the extra power input. It also works fine with the extra power input.

At this point I am unable to see the problem you are having. Have you tried re-cloning SIP from GitHub?

Dan
Hi Dan,

thanks for the testing and feedback. Yes. I am using the OSPI 1.43 (2 items) and the RasPi 3 (3 items) Model B.
I have tried using the different OSPI's and RPi's and the result has been the same!! Also I have cloned several times the SIP library, even with completely fresh Raspbian IMG and no luck yet!

Moreover, Like a month ago I did implemented the OSPI 1.43 with a RasPi 3 Model B and it has been working OK.
I have also ran several times apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

If I activate the different stations from the SIP interface, I can see they are turned on software wise. I mean, I can see in the terminal the message zones changed, and the stations with states 1 when activated.

I am a bit tricked now and searching where is the issue!

I'll remain attentive to any idea or clue you may have!

Thank you.

e

(2017 May 15, 11:23 AM)elongo Wrote: by the way is all this OK (attachment)?

Hi Dan,

thanks for the testing and feedback. Yes. I am using the OSPI 1.43 (2 items) and the RasPi 3 (3 items) Model B.
I have tried using the different OSPI's and RPi's and the result has been the same!! Also I have cloned several times the SIP library, even with completely fresh Raspbian IMG and no luck yet!

Moreover, Like a month ago I did implemented the OSPI 1.43 with a RasPi 3 Model B and it has been working OK.
I have also ran several times apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

If I activate the different stations from the SIP interface, I can see they are turned on software wise. I mean, I can see in the terminal the message zones changed, and the stations with states 1 when activated.

I am a bit tricked now and searching where is the issue!

I'll remain attentive to any idea or clue you may have!

Thank you.

e

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)