Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIP program will not start automatically
Hi I had a opensprinkler base on a PI 1a which unfortunately received a power surge and a couple of chips on the opensprinkler board have been fried.  So I bought a replacement board and I have been following the instruction from the Github https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/SIP/wiki/installation.  When I manually start the program everything appears to work correctly and I have imported my saved configuration back onto the new SD card Smile .

The issue I have is that when I follow the instructions to make the SIP program start automatically it doesn't work.  I have tried the recommended way 

1.-Starting sip.py from a script in /etc/init.d
2.-using rc.local
3.-using systemd

Nothing seems to work, Huh I'm obviously missing something but I just cannot see what; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul,

It looks like the instructions on the wiki need to be updated.

However you should be able to get things working without too much trouble.

First, is your Raspi running a recent version of the Raspbian OS i.e. jessie?
If that's the case you should use the init.d system:
There is a file in the SIP directory named sip.service. That should be copied to /etc/systemd/system.
Use the command:

sudo cp /SIP/sip.service /etc/systemd/system/sip.service

Then enable sip service:
sudo systemctl enable sip.service

You should get a message that the service is enabled.

Reboot the py:
sudo reboot

After the reboot sip should be running. If not, make sure the rc.local command is removed and the init.d file is deactivated as per the instructions on the wiki.

If you are running an older version of Raspbian the init.d instructions should work but it would be a good idea to upgrade.

Let me know how it goes.

Dan

Dan
(2017 Feb 07, 11:16 PM)dan Wrote: Hi Dan

Well it didn't go quite to plan but, I decided to rebuild the SD card using the latest Jessie-Lite and I have managed to get it working.  Thank so much for your help I appreciate the help  Cool

Thank 
Paul

Hi Paul,

There is a file in the SIP directory named sip.service. That should be copied to /etc/systemd/system.
Use the command:

Then enable sip service:

Reboot the py:
sudo reboot

After the reboot sip should be running. If not, make sure the rc.local command is removed and the init.d file is deactivated as per the instructions on the wiki.

If you are running an older version of Raspbian the init.d instructions should work but it would be a good idea to upgrade.

Let me know how it goes.

Dan

Dan
(2017 Feb 09, 07:43 AM)pokee Wrote:
(2017 Feb 07, 11:16 PM)dan Wrote: Hi Dan

Well it didn't go quite to plan but, I decided to rebuild the SD card using the latest Jessie-Lite and I have managed to get it working.  Thank so much for your help I appreciate the help  Cool

Thank 
Paul

Hi Paul,

Use the command:

Then enable sip service:

Reboot the py:
sudo reboot

Let me know how it goes.

Dan

Dan
Autostart Code update :

sudo cp /home/pi/SIP/sip.service /etc/systemd/system/

sudo reboot