Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running SIP and OpenSprinkler PI software simultaneously
Is it possible to run SIP and OpenSprinkler PI software simulataneosly for one device...
One software standby ... another operational.

I am looking for transition path from OpenSprinkler to SIP.

SF
I have not tried this but it should be possible to run both programs at the same time.

You would need to make sure that each program is using a different HTTP port. They both default to port 80. You can change SIP's port on the Options page to e.g. port 8080 and then you will need to add :8080 to the Pi's URL to log in to SIP. If they are trying to use the same port one of the programs will not start.

You can easily test this by starting SIP from the command line once it is installed. Just log into the SIP directory and use the command:

Code:
sudo python sip.py

The other thing that would cause a conflict is if you have both programs trying to control the stations at the same time. On SIP's programs page you can turn irrigation programs on or off to avoid the conflict.
(2017 Jun 18, 03:29 PM)dan Wrote: I have not tried this but it should be possible to run both programs at the same time.

You would need to make sure that each program is using a different HTTP port. They both default to port 80. You can change SIP's port on the Options page to e.g. port 8080 and then you will need to add :8080 to the Pi's URL to log in to SIP. If they are trying to use the same port one of the programs will not start.

You can easily test this by starting SIP from the command line once it is installed. Just log into the SIP directory and use the command:

Code:
sudo python sip.py

The other thing that would cause a conflict is if you have both programs trying to control the stations at the same time. On SIP's programs page you can turn irrigation programs on or off to avoid the conflict.

Thanks, Dan.

I finally tried it. Well... It does not work. Looks like OpenSprinkler Pi program capture exclusively some GPIO (this is my guess/I did not debug or strace the program).
SIP did not activate any valves when I "run once" for 2 mins first valve. Same time on GUI interface color of the valve tune green and time was ticking (like it really runs).
Sequence was, that OpenSprinkler2 was running (I mean running Idle) for long time before I started SIP.
SIP starts working and controlling valves once I shutdown OpenSprinkler.

BTW, by default OpenSprinkler2 program by default uses port 8080 and SIP is using 80, so in this regard looks all correct. (I did not notice any issue in connecting to SIP via HTTP while OpenSprinkler2 was running.)

I have couple of other questions, but they are related to mobile and general question on SIP, so I better ask them in separate topics.

On side note (I think it is important), I am very happy with the OpenSprinkler and the software from you, Ray and Sameer.

Thank you!
Can anyone provide me whole instructions from start to finish to complete this project? Only software support required.