Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is SIP?
I guess I don't understand what the difference between SIP and OpensprinklerPi is. Is it just the programming language ?
When the OpenSprinkler project went commercial I renamed the Python program to SIP to avoid conflicts and confusion between the commercial product and this project. This has always been an independent project.

Since many users here are going with inexpensive relay boards instead of OpenSprinkler boards I didn't want to detract from the sales of  Ray' boards by having discussions about using alternative interfaces on the OpenSprinkler forum..

Dan
Hi Dan. I just joined this forum and am interested in SIP.

To followup on nightshark's question: I have no hardware for a DIY sprinkler yet. So, in choosing between an "inexpensive relay board" per your comment just above, and Ray's Opensprinkler Pi system, what are the tradeoffs in features?

Are you still maintaining the code for Ray's system, or does your current code also work with Ray's?

Thanks!
The current code works with Ray's board.

The advantage of Ray' s board is that it is all solid state. It is designed to switch 24V AC. The enclosure can be bit of a problem if you need to access alll the ports on the Pi.

Relay boards are are far less expensive but are electro-mechanical.  They can switch AC or CD power with a wide voltage range so they can be used to control other things besides sprinkler valves.

Dan