Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping System Time (SIP and Rpi)
Hi
as far as i know raspberry pi can not keep its clock up to date since it has not RTC (real time clock) !
especially when it is not connected to internet (not contacting Online NTP servers !)
here is my issues :
i will be deploying SIP on a Rpi at a remote location with the following limitations :
  1. no internet connection
  2. no stable electricity (8 hrs daily)
the first issue cannot be resolved and i can live with that (thanks for SIP program schedules )

for the second issue i have decided to install RTC  (Ds3231) chip to provide accurate time to Rpi and SIP ,then scheduling auto system shutdown to avoid unexpected shutdown and cripple the entire system

am i on the right Path? since im not an expert in this area i always prefer to ask before do anything on my own is there any other solution for the time tracking ?
Your plan to use a Ds3231 chip and have the Pi shutdown automatically sounds good.

I don't know of any other way to keep accurate time on the Raspi.
The RTC information I sent you a link for in an earlier post is old and I have been working on new instructions for using an RTC with the newest raspbian versions (Jessie or Stretch).

I don't know your location or what access you have to electronic components but there is a nice RTC that is designed specifically for the Pi from Adafruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3386

You just need to get it with the battery and plug it on to the Pi's GPIO pins (pins 1 to 6). It will work with the relay_16 SIP plugin. 

I will post here as soon as I have the new instructions ready.

Dan
Big Grin 
danYour plan to use a Ds3231 chip and have the Pi shutdown automatically sounds good.

I don't know of any other way to keep accurate time on the Raspi.
The RTC information I sent you a link for in an earlier post is old and I have been working on new instructions for using an RTC with the newest raspbian versions (Jessie or Stretch).

I don't know your location or what access you have to electronic components but there is a nice RTC that is designed specifically for the Pi from Adafruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3386

You just need to get it with the battery and plug it on to the Pi's GPIO pins (pins 1 to 6). It will work with the relay_16 SIP plugin. 

I will post here as soon as I have the new instructions ready.

Dan
Many thanks for your replay
here are some updates
i have tried to buy Ds3231 from local reseller at the beginning they said it is available but when i get there they said they only have DS1302 witch is different chip ! although i have tried hardly to hooked up and make it work with My rpi but no luck . then i ordered the one that you recommend but it will take about Five weeks to deliver "i live in 3rd world country Smile"

until then i have decided to do the following  :
  • installing hardware timer that only allow power to entire project from 07:00 PM to11:00 PM (Real Time) it will allow power to the project only in that window
    http://www.acehardware.co.id/ace_media/p...imer_1.jpg
  • put this line in crontab @reboot sudo date -s "04-JAN-2014 19:00:00"; (Dummy Time)
  • schedule sip to run daily at 19:30 (Dummy Time)
  • schedule auto system shutdown at 23:00 using cron tab (Dummy Time)
  • since there is not any online ntp in the surroundings the rpi will stick to the dummy time
  • Irrigation will run during that time
i Know this is not sophisticated way to sole the problems but it will work and do the job for me .
as soon as i have deployed everything i will post the entire project diagrams and pictures in desired forum

many thanks again for this nice community Dan
Shad