Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sprinklers failing to start
I'm having a strange issue.

Just recently, my sprinklers are failing to start, after a couple of years with no issues. If I trigger a zone, I can hear the value start to open and water flow, but within a second it closes and the water flow stops. I tried resetting the white com wire, but didn't seem to make a difference.

I don't think it is an issue with the solenoids, because the same thing happens with every zone I try and trigger. Also, if I manual turn the solenoid on, it stays on.

Could it be the controller board? Or the power supply?
Although you provide little information on what hardware you use, I would say power supply.
If it is the controller board then most likely you wouldn't see this issue on all ports since most boards have almost nothing in common from the circuit point of view, except the power lines.

Hopefully the system is accessible for you to check with a mulitmeter and measure what's going on, but my bet is on the psu. Capacitors have in many cases a very limited life.

--Gerard
(2018 Apr 02, 07:30 AM)astrogerard Wrote: Although you provide little information on what hardware you use, I would say power supply.
If it is the controller board then most likely you wouldn't see this issue on all ports since most boards have almost nothing in common from the circuit point of view, except the power lines.

Hopefully the system is accessible for you to check with a mulitmeter and measure what's going on, but my bet is on the psu. Capacitors have in many cases a very limited life.

--Gerard

Sorry, I should have posted more details about the hardware. 

OpenPrinkler PI
RaspberryPI 2B
Orbit 24 VAC 750 mA Transformer

I just ordered a new Transformer, to see if that solves it or not.
Well, I doubt if the problem is on the 24VAC side. I'm guessing your are powering the relay board from the PI. If so, the 5v could also be a problem. To omit this I use a separate 5V psu (usb charger) for the relay board (see here).
--Gerard
(2018 Apr 02, 03:28 PM)astrogerard Wrote: Well, I doubt if the problem is on the 24VAC side. I'm guessing your are powering the relay board from the PI. If so, the 5v could also be a problem. To omit this I use a separate 5V psu (usb charger) for the relay board (see here).
--Gerard

So the OpenSprinkler board is said to be powered from the 24VAC brick. I actually don't even see a separate USB hookup on my controller. It has worked fine for about almost 3 years in this same configuration, so seems odd that the 5v would suddenly be an issue.

I can tell the controller board is getting power, because I see it's LED is turned on the controller board. And it is starting to try and turn on the sprinkler when I activate a zone. It just doesn't seem to turn completely over.

I tried swapping out the 24VAC brick, but no luck. I also tried swapping out the PI, thinking maybe it was just crapping out some how. But no luck.

I decided to just buy a new controller board. So that should fix it all.