Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting double plugin in plugin list and LOADING.... on homepage
Dan,

I'm writing a plugin that uses weewx weather station to emulate the rain sensor function. With a bit of mods to helpers, gpio_pins, and sip I can pass the output of the plugin to the "rain_sensor" value in helpers, no tracebacks. However, when I print out the plugins.__all__ variable it only shows 1 instance of my plugin in the list. But on the homepage dropdown there are 2 in the list and the stations all show "LOADING......"  I'm using version 4.1.51.

I  disable my plugin and just let the fake_gpio library control the rain_sensor it randomly changes between 1 and 0, stations, all load and homepage functions as expected. I'm sure I'm creating some kind of loop. in sip.py the tweak I made was to assign plugins.__all__ to a global that I could pass to helpers.py so that I can see if the plugin is loaded to ensure that the rain_sensor variable is being set in the check_rain() subroutine. That all seems to work fine. Just don't understand the problem I've created with the plugin to cause the problem.

Thanks,

Bryan

Update: Nevermind. Just had to use a gv.sd and add an new global value for the wx_rain_sensor value to pass between plugin and helpers and issue went away.
Hi Bryan,

Glad you got it working!

The only problem with tweaking the core program code is that you will need to make the same changes again if you upgrade SIP to a newer version.

You might be able to avoid that problem by using git to commit or stash your changes locally and then using git pull to do the update.

Dan
<p><br></p>
Dan,

Your correct. I saw the new 5.0 release and decided to upgrade to that. So now I'm rethinking how I do it. As a newbie, I have not used Git in the past. But will look at that.  At one point in the past you indicated that I could fake the rain_sensed using gv.sd[u"rst"] but I could not figure out how to make that work.

Re-evalutating things it almost looks simpler to load a different version of check_rain module from the rain sensor emulation plugin that I'm writing versus the one from helpers. That limits the changes to sip.py and the plugin. I just do a detect if plugin loaded to set this up.

There are also a couple of gpio emulator packages out there that use a GUI to emulate state of gpio pins. I plan to take a look at that as well, that would eliminate the need to change code if I can integrate it into the plugin.

Thanks,

Bryan
(2023 Sep 05, 01:36 PM)tutqiunnh Wrote: Dan,

Your correct. I saw the new 5.0 release and decided to upgrade to that. So now I'm rethinking how I do it. As a newbie, I have not used Git in the past. But will look at that.  At one point in the past you indicated that I could fake the rain_sensed using gv.sd[u"rst"] but I could not figure out how to make that work.

Re-evalutating things it almost looks simpler to load a different version of check_rain module from the rain sensor emulation plugin that I'm writing versus the one from helpers. That limits the changes to sip.py and the plugin. I just do a detect if plugin loaded to set this up.

There are also a couple of gpio emulator packages out there that use a GUI to emulate state of gpio pins. I plan to take a look at that as well, that would eliminate the need to change code if I can integrate it into the plugin.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,
Keep us posted on your progress especially the use of the gpio emulator.

Thanks.
Dan
<p><br></p>
Dan,

Unfortunately, a the emulators only work in the python environment where GPIO are replaced with "fake" GPIO requiring me to change gpio_pins.py.

However, I was able to get it working with 2 simple changes.
      1) Added a new global to gv.py called "wx_rs" to pass the result of the weather station rain sensor output to SIP.
      2) Change the except NameError: (line 265) in the check_rain module  of helpers.py to replace the "pass" with:
                         plugin_list = [item[0] for item in gv.plugin_menu]
                         if "Weewx Rain Sensor" in plugin_list :
                                   rain_sensor = gv.sd["wx_rs"]
                         else :
                                   pass

If the sensor plugin is in the active plugin menu sets the rain_sensor variable to the global from the plugin, if not just does the same as before when no gpio are present for rain sensor.