Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Weather-Based Questions
I've seen some strange behavior from this plugin lately, most notably that the history and rain aren't being updated.  Last week I watched my system mowing my lawn in the rain, and it had been raining the 3 days prior.  Reading the plugin status, I had received 0mm of rain. I reinstalled everything and the forecast files update regularly but the history file hasn't updated in almost 3 days, but it created 4 files in just over an hour (including 2 barely 30secs apart). Now I`m curious about when/how the history file gets updated and how it determines rainfall.

Cheers!

Dammit...

tried inserting a clip of my file list
Not sure why the files are not being updated.

Have you verified that your location lat_Lon setting is accurate? The current temperature shown in the plugins Status box should be close to what a local reading is. This can be used to determine if you are getting correct weather data.

As a precaution you can always set a rain delay on the SIP main page to prevent watering during rain.
<p><br></p>
(2022 Jun 22, 03:02 PM)dan Wrote: Not sure why the files are not being updated.

Have you verified that your location lat_Lon setting is accurate? The current temperature shown in the plugins Status box should be close to what a local reading is. This can be used to determine if you are getting correct weather data.

As a precaution you can always set a rain delay on the SIP main page to prevent watering during rain.

I have checked the lat_lon...looks correct, the temp is accurate to my location.

UPDATE:
I just checked the history files, and the forecast continues to update hourly. The history files have updated a bit as well. I have 5 new history files, created an hour apart that seem to have stopped updating again. No new history files in about 15 hours.

Also, reading the files does indeed show my correct location.

Does anyone have any insight as to how this is supposed to operate? I'm just not good enough at reading the code.

Cheers!
Another update:

It seems that every few days, the history files get updated, but only for 5 consecutive hours. Then it stops updating.

Also, it rained last night for about an hour...and I mean poured. A river of water flowing down the street to the storm drains. Checking the plug-in today...0.75mm of rain.

Something is definitely not right with this...is anybody else seeing these issues? Can anybody help walk me through the code and try to troubleshoot this?

I'm willing to put in some time to work with somebody who's knowledgeable...I work days and my timezone is GMT-7 if that helps.

Cheers!
One of the problems with weather based irrigation management is that unless you have a weather station at your location the data  from an online service is not very accurate to a specific location.

It may be raining where you are but the data source the service is using may be getting a different amount or no rain.
<p><br></p>
Here is a link to the pull request for the plugin. It contains comments by one of the authors that may be helpful.
https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/sip_plugins/pull/33
<p><br></p>
(2022 Jun 30, 01:53 PM)dan Wrote: One of the problems with weather based irrigation management is that unless you have a weather station at your location the data  from an online service is not very accurate to a specific location.

It may be raining where you are but the data source the service is using may be getting a different amount or no rain.

I looked through the data it did pull and it looks to be from a location close enough to my house that I can accept it's the right info.

(2022 Jun 30, 02:30 PM)dan Wrote: Here is a link to the pull request for the plugin. It contains comments by one of the authors that may be helpful.
https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/sip_plugins/pull/33

An interesting read. The one thing that stuck out is that I may be missing some files, the current weather ones.

I tried running weather_level_adj.py in Thonny (I'm a total python noob) and it spit out this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/SIP/plugins/weather_level_adj.py", line 26, in <module>
    import gv  # Get access to SIP's settings
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gv'

I'm not sure where to go from here