Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User PI Gone...
...in the current versions of Raspberry pi OS.  The Wiki should probably be updated.  I put it in /root/SIP.
(2022 Jun 02, 09:31 PM)jerryk Wrote: ...in the current versions of Raspberry pi OS.  The Wiki should probably be updated.  I put it in /root/SIP.

Hmm..
I just checked a new Pi OS install and /home/pi is still there.
<p><br></p>
In the latest version there is no default user (pi) anymore but you can create a user with the new raspi imager.
I saw no real reason to create a "pi" user. Unix systems have "root", and root's homepage is in /root. In addition, root is somewhat special - its UID is 0 ( zero ).
Its very easy to run SIP as root but also very wrong to do so.  My SIP installations are mostly running under a user with UID 0  Big Grin
Aha,
I was using Raspberry Pi Imager 2 and the default user is pi.
The instructions on the raspberry pi website does not mention adding a different user
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

Not sure it is a good idea to recommend using root for the average SIP user.

Dan
<p><br></p>
The removal of the default pi user is mentioned in the release-notes
Code:
* Default "pi" user has been removed; the first-boot wizard enforces the creation of a new user account

There is also some explanation in https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...arted.html

Code:
In the past Raspberry Pi OS had a default user name and password; user name pi, with password raspberry. This is no longer the case. However if you are using an older version of the operating system, or you are working with an existing installation, this default user may be present. If you have not already done so, you should change the default password straight away to ensure your Raspberry Pi is secure.

Code:
When you have the Raspberry Pi Imager open, and after you have selected the operating system to install, a cog wheel will appear allowing you to open an "Advanced Options" menu if it is supported by the operating system. This menu lets you carry out tasks like enabling SSH, or setting your Raspberry Pi’s hostname, and configuring the default user before first boot.