Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oled.py plugin
(2021 Oct 13, 01:52 AM)paul Wrote: Do you mean I should make i2c_bus_number a modifiable parameter?

No, what I mean is that if two or more plugins use the same i2c bus via different drivers it might endup in a conflict situation. 
Sofar this wasn't an issue since all plugins (including mine) use the smbus driver. Adding another/extra driver accessing hardware at the same time is usually not the best idea.

At the moment I have my devPi connected to 5 i2c IO expanders (40 sip stations) and in the coming days will try to add an oled display and see if it works (or not). 

--Gerard
I was able to drive two oled devices (SSD1307 and SSD1327) via the same smbus. They have different i2c_write_addr.

I have not tried more than two devices at once.

Nor have I tried two oleds of the same model (ie., identical i2c_write_addr).

Could you provide a link to your devPi development? Looks interesting.

--Paul
Out of curiosity, I add a second SSD1307 OLED (ie., same i2c_write_addr), and the display images were garbled on both devices.

So the plugin would fail if there is an i2c_addr collision.

--Paul
(2021 Oct 14, 12:28 AM)paul Wrote: I was able to drive two oled devices (SSD1307 and SSD1327) via the same smbus.  They have different i2c_write_addr.

I have not tried more than two devices at once. 

Nor have I tried two oleds of the same model (ie., identical i2c_write_addr).

Could you provide a link to your devPi development?  Looks interesting.

--Paul

i2c addresses should be unique so two devices with the same addres will never work since a i2c device sends an ACK (pull sda down) to the host. 

At the moment I'm testing my new plugin with 5 IO expanders and 1 ssd1306 LCD. That works flawless so far. The LCD plugin is the one from the SIP plugin repo. 

I did test your plugin but had many troubles in getting the luma driver and its zillion dependencies working. I've seen Dan's issues and mine where the same and more so I finally gave up. Also if the installation is such a struggle I doubt if the added value of another LCD plugin is worth it. Future will tell :-)

About my devPi, this is an ordinary Pi with some custom scripts to make development a bit easy. So nothing special there except it is on my bench and not really watering the garden.

--Gerard